SILICONE HVIC FIELD APPLICATION
S3C provides a full servie on-site facility for the field applications of High Voltage Insulator Coatings. These
services include the following aspects.
• Complete project management including material supply & application.
• Application by manufacturer-trained & approved painters at established field-facilities and at sub-stations.
• Specialized scaffolding & access equipment.
• Round the clock application to meet the most demanding delivery schedules.
• Repair of damaged insulators, and over-coating.
• Inspection of existing coating and service life estimation.
S3C's superior vendor-supplied HVIC systems can be applied:
• On glass, porcelain and composite insulators where improved surface dielectric properties are needed;
• On line and station insulators, as well as bushing, instrument transformers and related devices;
• Increasing the surface resistance of bucket truck booms;
• Other applications requiring arc resistance such as barrier boards used in switch gear and in large motors.
ADVANTAGES OF COATING OVER WATER WASHING
A correct specified and applied Inuslator coating provides freedom from repetitive water washing for up to 20 years
(defending on location) with the following additional benefits:-
No risk of
• Insulator damage during repeated wash cycles
• Having to re-wash due to changing weather patterns
• Increased washing frequency as line ages
» during live line washing
» on insulator missed during cleaning
» on insulator incorrectly cleaned
» from washhing contractors using the wrong water quality
» from sand storms removing the porcelain glaze
The coating can also be:
• Water washed if required*
• Inspected to determine coating effectiveness
• over coated in the future (normally at much less than the original cost) to extend the life by another 10-15 years.
• has no detrimental effect on the insulator or its performance
• increases the wet flashover voltage capability of the insulator and has been used to effectively increase the
• may also reduce electricity losses through corona effect reduction
• will minimise surface damage from electrical activity during extreme weather conditions
• will not be damaged by wind driven sand
All these benefits are normally intagibles and not included in the cost analysis but have a major impoact
on the life cycle cost of a transmission line or substation in a coastal, industrial and/or humid area.